In St Andrew's church at Coln Rogers in Gloucestershire we have a survivor from the end of the Saxon period, still serving the community and surprising unscathed by the passing years. Completed by the mid 11'th century both the nave and the chancel retain most of their original construction, although pierced by later windows.
What then can the visitor expect? The church sits at the North end of the small village of Coln Rogers in a flat churchyard mostly surrounded by mature trees, the porch was partly restored in the 19'th century, though it was probably originally contemporary with the tower and conceals the 12'th century door arch, just inside the door is a plain 12'th century font and by the Chancel arch there is a 15'th century stone pulpit. The chancel arch is of Saxon design and is without ornamentation, it's comparatively narrow form helps emphasise the separation of the nave and the chancel. In the North wall of the chancel is a Saxon window.
The tower, whose arch has been remodelled in the 19'th century restoration, is of late perpendicular construction. The upper part of the tower being rebuilt in 1911.
Photographed in February 2012 by Nick Temple-Fry for theChurchPhotographer. This church is normally open.